Step aside, cheese boards! It’s time to embrace bountiful munchies in a new way. A sweet and salty snack board can serve as a delectable, party-worthy platter or a casual build-it-yourself dessert for friends and family. Laden with more than just simple chips and dip or fruit and cheese combinations, these trays cater to a variety of palates and can be made for any occasion.
We’ve collaborated with our friend and master snack board-maker, Melissa Francis of @boardsbymelfran to share our best tips and tricks. Read on to learn how to make a delicious snack spread that is easy for entertaining.
“Let your creativity flow! Having a variety of cheese types, charcuterie, fruits, and vegetables is the best way to make sure your snack board is delicious.” - Melissa Francis of @boardsbymelfran
Sweet and Salty Charcuterie Board
We recommend choosing a variety of sweet and salty ingredients. Here are some of our favorites:
- Mixed nuts
- Trail mix
- Grab a large cutting board, rimmed baking sheet, or serving tray. Melissa also likes to use butcher paper when assembling boards for larger parties, and different jars or plates. Just make sure it’s big enough to fit all your ingredients.
- Start with the bigger items – put your larger cheeses like brie and goat cheese down first as well as any large bowls or jars, and from there, lay out your charcuterie.
- Next, arrange your bigger fruits like grapes and strawberries around the cheeses and charcuterie. Once the big items are all on the board, fill in any gaps with small snacks like nuts, blueberries, and olives. Make sure there is no empty space.
- Lastly, add festive props or garnishes like pumpkins or witch hats for Halloween to make your board more seasonal. Melissa likes to try and use as many fresh herbs and flowers as possible, as well as dried citrus to add a nice pop of color and texture.
- Set out the spread for your guests and let them enjoy!
Melissa Francis of @boardsbymelfran used a combination of Gourmet Caramel Apples from our Witch Hat Caramel Apple Gift Set and Jack-O-Lantern Caramel Apples and Confections Gift Tray, topping the Monster Apples with our Witch Hat ornaments for a fun touch to her Halloween snack board!
The Appeal of Sweet and Salty Snacks
Why does the combination of sweet and salty snacks tantalize the taste buds? As it turns out, many foods are often made more irresistible when paired with a little sodium. At low concentrations, salt can enhance the sweetness of various fare, which is why adding a few flakes of sea salt onto a chocolate chip cookie can make your mouth water.
“I love to pair Caramel Apples with all types of nuts. Another favorite combination is Caramel Apples plus brie – brie warmed up is AMAZING paired with a Caramel Apple.” - Melissa Francis of @boardsbymelfran
Other popular sweet and salty combinations include:
- Caramel corn: Salty popcorn smothered in a thin, crunchy caramel shell marries savory and sweet flavors harmoniously
- Maple bacon donuts: Savory bacon paired with maple syrup and doughy goodness makes this a must-have breakfast and dessert food
- Watermelon and feta: Salty feta cheese can bring out the natural sweetness of fruit, especially watermelon
Whether you’re making one for a family movie night or a game day party, a gourmet sweet and salty charcuterie board can be incredibly versatile. Get creative and craft your spread based on a specific theme, season, or holiday.
“I am so excited and eager to make seasonal boards with the holidays coming up. I have had so much fun creating Halloween boards and using my hashtag, #trickortreattuesday in hopes of bringing the holiday spirit to the snack board community.” - Melissa Francis of @boardsbymelfran
Check out these fun variations:
- Fall or Halloween snack board: Caramel Apple slices, cheese, candy caramels, ginger snap cookies, roasted pumpkin seeds, caramel sauce, peanut butter dip, candy corn
- Greek-inspired snack board: Fruit, feta cheese, olives, crackers, bell peppers, yogurt, hummus, sliced meats
- Savory dessert board: Mini parfaits, marshmallows, dark chocolate sea salt almonds, fresh berries, chocolate hummus, pretzels, pita chips, mixed nuts
To make your sweet and salty snack arrangement even more fun and delectable, choose Mrs Prindables. Shop our wide selection of delightful, gourmet desserts that your guests will love!