If you have apple-flavored hard candy and a pack of your favorite caramels, you have all the essential ingredients to make this caramel apple lollipop recipe at home. This fun and flavorful food project doesn’t take a lot of time, but it does require a few key kitchen utensils. Here’s a look at what you need and how to re-create this childhood favorite!
What You’ll Need
There are several items you’ll want to gather to make homemade lollipops, some of which are necessary and others that are simply useful. Here are the basics:
- Apple-flavored hard candies: Ideally, you'll find green apple-flavored candies to replicate the tart flavor of the Granny Smith apples we use
- A heavy-bottomed saucepan: Because you’ll be melting candies, you’ll want a solid, heavy-bottomed saucepan to use on the stove
- A heat-proof spatula and a heat-proof measuring spoon: These tools make it easier to transfer the heated candies or caramels from the saucepan to a baking mat
- Lollipop sticks: What’s a lollipop without a stick? You can purchase a pack of these wherever kitchen utensils and candy-making tools are sold
- A silicone baking mat or a rimless baking sheet and parchment paper: Once you’ve melted the candies and caramel, you’ll need either a silicone baking mat or a parchment-lined baking sheet to fully cool the confections. If using a baking sheet, stick to the kind without rims; this will allow you to hang the lollipop sticks off the sides so they're easier to lift off of the sheet later
- Cellophane candy bags: While not strictly essential, cellophane candy bags give your lollipops that finishing touch. Plus, they’re perfect for gifting
- Decorations: Melted chocolate, chopped toasted nuts, chocolate chips, crushed candies, dried fruit
How to Make Caramel Apple Lollipops
Once you’ve collected the right tools, making these lollipops is all about melting, pouring, assembling, and melting again.
1. Melt. In the saucepan, melt some apple-flavored hard candies over low heat, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to let the sugar caramelize.
2. Pour. Using the spatula and measuring spoon, pour the melted candy onto the baking mat or parchment-lined baking sheet and spread into small circles (about 2 inches diameter).
3. Assemble. Place a lollipop stick on each candy circle, pressing it firmly. Let cool and harden completely.
4. Melt and dip. Next, melt some caramel in your saucepan over low heat, gently stirring occasionally to prevent the caramel from scorching. Use half the amount of caramel as you did the hard candies. Then, dip the cooled candy lollipops in the caramel. Cool.
5. Dip once more. To add some additional flair and Mrs Prindables flavors, cover the lollipops in white, milk, or dark chocolate. Melt your chocolate of choice in the microwave, 10 seconds at a time, stirring in between until the chocolate is just melted. Dip the lollipops in the chocolate and set back on the parchment or baking mat.
5. Decorate. Sprinkle on the nuts or candies of your choice. Give the lollipops some holiday whimsy by adding seasonal sprinkles like we've done here. Let the lollipops set completely before packaging and gifting to loved ones, or enjoying yourself!
As you can see, making caramel apple lollipops at home is simple and fun! If you love the combination of caramel and apples, however, nothing can beat the real thing: To get your true Caramel Apple fix, order Mrs Prindables Gourmet Caramel Apples here.